Monday, October 02, 2006

Secret Pal 9 Questionnaire

1. What is/are your favorite yarn/s to knit with? What fibers do you absolutely *not* like?

Favorites:
Malabrigo, koigu, lorna's laces, anything with modal in it (Knitpicks Shine, Berroco Touche). I don't hate acrylics - Encore, caron simply soft and whatnot are useful when washability is paramont. I also love sugar 'n' cream and lion cotton because I make too many dishcloths.

Least Favorites:
Red heart and knitpicks pallette. (Pallette was soooo splitty!)

2. What do you use to store your needles/hooks in?

A desk drawer. I've been meaning to sew myself a roll-up case because I have hordes of DPN's and straights flying around everywhere.

3. How long have you been knitting & how did you learn? Would you consider your skill level to be beginner, intermediate or advanced?

I learned when I was six, and I'm 21 now. I didn't knit constantly, but it's become my life with the onslaught of Stich 'n' Bitch and hot knitting patterns that weren't there before. I'd call myself advanced; I used to teach in a yarn shop and I don't think there's any technique that frightens me. (Except MAYBE steeking!)

4. Do you have an Amazon or other online wish list?

Urrrrr, one that's so old it's barely worth mentioning. In fact, I won't.

5. What's your favorite scent? (for candles, bath products, etc.)

Vanilla, rose, lavender... You know, most candles and whatnot smell pretty nice, except for patchouli.

6. Do you have a sweet tooth? Favorite candy?

Ben & Jerry's is my weakness, but I don't think that can be mailed. I love, LOVE chocolate of all varieties and swedish fish. I'm not so much a fan of sour or cinnamon candy.

7. What other crafts or Do-It-Yourself things do you like to do? Do you spin?

I have a drop spindle, roving, and a bit of frustration. I wish I could figure it out. I also sew myself clothing, or, attempt to.

8. What kind of music do you like? Can your computer/stereo play MP3s? (if your buddy wants to make you a CD)

My computer and stereos are quite capable! I really am into older music, 70s and 80s sort of stuff: Bauhaus, David Bowie, Devo, Duran Duran, Iggy Pop, Joy Division, New Order, Peter Murphy, Love & Rockets, Ministry, Nitzer Ebb, ELO, The Beatles... As for new stuff, I'm more limited in my likings: NIN, Franz Ferdinand... and I've just drawn a blank! The majority of my music collection honestly is on vinyl or in my ipod. I hardly use CDs.

9. What's your favorite color(s)? Any colors you just can't stand?

Piiiiink! Hot pink and black is my favorite combination. I love lime green, too. I'm not much of a fan of... yellow? Color is good, in general.

10. What is your family situation? Do you have any pets?

No pets, unless you count my six Betta fish. I live with my fiance.

11. Do you wear scarves, hats, mittens or ponchos?

All of the above, except for ponchos. Cold weather accessories are the only thing I like about a Michigan winter - I mean, they're very necessary, and they can be very cute. I have so many scarves, but there's nothing cooler than a ridiculous scarf, is there?

12. What is/are your favorite item/s to knit?

I do like to make myself sweaters, but I've made far more gloves, dishcloths, and smaller things. I've been on a sock kick, lately, also.

13. What are you knitting right now?

Uh oh. That's a loaded question. I'm heading up the Dishcloth KAL, so dishcloths up the... Additionally, Annie Modesitt's silk corset, knitty's exchequered, many, many knucks as gifts (I've made three pairs already... Have yarn for two more), and the Anastasia socks. My next project is Eunny's Deep V Argyle Vest.

14. Do you like to receive handmade gifts?

Sure!

15. Do you prefer straight or circular needles? Bamboo, aluminum, plastic?

I have no need for circulars, other than my beloved Boye set. I use needles of all materials, really, metal and bamboo mostly. Plastic was too grabby and annoying for my taste.

16. Do you own a yarn winder and/or swift?

Nope. I've been meaning to invest in one, though.

17. How old is your oldest UFO?

Two or three years, I'd venture to guess. I'm not sure though.

18. What is your favorite holiday?

Halloween!

19. Is there anything that you collect?

Not really, unless yarn counts.

20. Any books, yarns, needles or patterns out there you are dying to get your hands on? What knitting magazine subscriptions do you have?

I don't have any magazine subscriptions, and my favorite knitting mag is Interweave. I used to get Vogue but it got rather ridiculous, to the point where an issue would come and I wouldn't want to make anything. The internet has given me more free patterns than I could ever hope for, and between my mom and I we have a nice knitting library...

21. Are there any new techniques you'd like to learn?

I'm going to be trying steeking soon! Other than that... ? I've tried most every knitting technique in existence!

22. Are you a sock knitter? What are your foot measurements?

Yes, indeed I make socks. I'm a US 8 1/2, so my foot is about 9 1/2 inches long.

23. When is your birthday? (mm/dd)

June 30th.

No comments: