Tuesday, January 09, 2007

A Video Game Vacation

First off, a HUGE thanks to Lorinda for the awesome prize package she sent me - Kureyon, sock yarn from To Knit Perchance to Dream, and a cute little card.

I was just having way too much fun playing video games and working on random knitting projects over the holiday break that I really didn't accomplish a whole lot of knitting.

Or blogging.

Or sewing.

Or many of the things I intended to do.

You see, this post is mostly going to pertain to video games. I knew for a long time that my mother was getting me a black Nintendo DS for Christmas.

My boyfriend has been wanting one for ages, and we knew his parents weren't getting him one. He wanted a pink one, so I took up the challenge. For the two weeks prior to Christmas, I was going in and out of stores that sell video games looking for the elusive pink DS. I refused to pay the exorbitant prices being charged for them on eBay; asking $250 for something that retails at half that just doesn't seem at all ethical to me.

I had pretty much given up the search once Game Stop, Meijer, Target, and Sears were all sick of hearing from me. On Christmas Eve, the boyfriend and I were at Meijer getting groceries or something. I joked about stopping by the toy section, and he said, "I don't even WANT to look anymore." I made him walk across the store with me "just in case." Sure enough, there were six pink DS systems sitting in the case, along with a few white ones. I pretty much screamed when I saw them, and (since it was late), went frantically looking for a red shirted employee to help...

The video game talk would be over, except for one small detail. A couple of the boyfriend's co-workers have Wiis. I had little interest in a Wii - until I played theirs (drunken wii bowling). Now I need one, and have the money set aside from graduation. The only problem is, I'm running into the same problem as I had with the pink DS: you can't find them ANYWHERE at retail! I know one day I will have my Wii, but until then, I'm doing pretty much the same thing I was before Christmas with the DS.

If any of you have been thinking about a DS, I highly reccommend them, along with Final Fantasy III, New Super Mario Bros, Kirby Squeak Squad, and Nintendogs.

I spent many days just sitting there and playing for hours until my rear end was sore.

It's truly a shame that my favorite things (video games, knitting, reading, sewing) are all sedentary pursuits; I'm going to be fat before I know it.

Boyfriend's roommate has an Xbox 360, and has been playing Gears of War. What a gory game! The graphics are so good that the blood and guts can literally give me chills; it's THAT good.



Click on the image below so it blows up to a fullscreen one, and just imagine how detailed it looks when that man rips your character apart with that chainsaw gun. (Yes, a chainsaw gun.) Go on, imagine it!

He's been playing a lot of matches online, which is something I actually wouldn't mind trying. He says he rarely runs into female players on there (they talk to one another wearing headsets while playing the game), which makes me want to play even more. I'm all about freaking out teenage boys. "OHMIGAWD, I'm playing against a GIRL?"




Fine, I'll mention knitting. I'm working on Tubey, and it's definitely the fastest sweater I've ever had the pleasure of working on. I'm working on the sleeve/shrug part, and I'm almost DONE! I cast on less than a week ago! It's a lot of stockinette in the round, so it mindlessly flies by. Perhaps the body "tube" will be a little more engaging. I'm using KnitPicks Andean Silk, which is really soft and lovely. I just couldn't spring for the Debbie Bliss that the original calls for...

No comments: