Friday, July 13, 2007

An open letter to Eunny Jang

Dearest Eunny,

You are quite possibly the most talented knitwear designer I have ever encountered. I am exceedingly jealous of your eye for design, for color, and your extensive knowledge of knitting, spinning, and apparently also cooking. I immediately want to make my own version of everything you make.

You have also taught me a lot. You dared me to try colorwork in the round. Twice. First with the Argyle Vest fiasco, and second with the Anemoi Mittens. You've taught me that I'm pretty pathetic at keeping floats loose, even when I am making a conscious effort to do exactly that. You've taught me that gauge swatches are essential, even if I still blatantly refuse to do them.

But most of all, you have taught me my limits. When I reach a point in one of your patterns that asks me to cut into my knitting, or perhaps "turn mitten inside out and join sts with a three-needle bind off," I learned that I should probably not listen. Every fiber of my being tells me not to turn a mitten inside out that has two long DPNs sticking out of it... and yet I listen, and while trying to recover dropped stitches on size 1 needles, I am reminded of how much better than me you are at everything.

Best of luck with Interweave.

Amy

3 comments:

Rose Red said...

Oh I'm with you - she is too too perfect! At least you've tried some of her patterns!

Anonymous said...

I had to stop reading her blog. Call me shallow and insecure, but I couldn't take the perfection.

LisaCanyonista said...

Also, she is sooooo fast, amazing!