Saturday, September 29, 2007

It's not just about politics, but also my booze!

The pink mouse I made for the kittens last month finally met its maker. After spending the night in the cats' water bowl, I decided that it was in their best interest to just throw the soggy, tailless, unraveling, partially-felted guy away.



His replacement was made out of some leftover Malabrigo. I'm sad to report that this new kitten toy isn't holding up so well; after just one day of terror from Orangecat and Blackcat, his i-cord tail is already unraveled and gone! Oh well, it's obvious that these guys still love him, so I'm not too heartbroken just yet.



The Flame Wave socks from Favorite Socks finished! Fishnets no more, I rather like their second chance at life as comfy socks. I wish I could use these for the Southern Summer of Socks, but that action doesn't start until Monday. Don't worry, there is plenty of sock yarn just waiting for my sole goal of being knitted up!

Speaking of Monday, I should probably go to Meijer and get more liquor. Why, you ask? Well, my government is shutting down. It boggles the mind that the fact that Michigan is going into government-induced anarchy isn't making national news. Most of the residents of this fine state were blissfully unaware of the fact that this was a possibility. What do we get? We get limited police force, limited funding to colleges, and no distribution of liquor, among a lot of other random, annoying things until the legislature comes to some agreement over their budget. The most tragic part of this isn't really the liquor, it's the bazillions of people who suddenly are laid off. Virtually every government worker is out of work starting Monday. They are only keeping people in prisons and hospitals and such to keep this from being complete state-induced anarchy.

There are a lot of fingers being pointed at our governor, but I don't think it's entirely fair to place the blame on her. Rather, what I see is a bipartisan host of morons in the legislature so stubborn and so motivated by sheer politics rather than goodwill that they've caused a shitstorm. At least Governor Granholm has been proposing a budget since January...

No wonder West Virginia's economy is better than ours. Fuck you, Michigan. I'm going to go buy another huge bottle of Stoli while I still can.

8 comments:

Rose Red said...

I wish my cat still played with cat toys. Oh well...

Still love the socks!!

Bells said...

Those socks are so gorgeous. I really , really want to make them and will when the book arrives.

Did you buy liquor?

Eric & Tony said...

Sucks to be in MI. The people wont allow that to go on for too long -- but you might pick up two bottles just in case!

Love the vintage pattern book.

Anonymous said...

Funny thing is I brought bourbon to a knitting night yesterday and thought about how people blog about knitting and wine/bourbon but rarely liquor.

meg_knits said...

Well, crisis avoided, but barely! And just think, if you lived in Massachusetts you would have to go to an Liquor store because grocery stores can't sell liquor. For reals!

Love the socks - super cute, and I am sure will be much used this winter.

Unknown said...

Fuck you Michigan! Haha - I laughed out loud at that. : )

Very cute socks, by the way ...

lupinbunny said...

About Michigan: from how you described it (difficulty passing the bduget through parliament?) the exact same thing happened in Australia in 1975. Yeah. Not a state of Australia. The COUNTRY. Our PM was fired by the only guy who can fire him (ceremonial power only, never used before or since), and the opposition leader, who didn't have the support of parliament, put in his place... again, you'd've thought this might cause civil war? Nuh.

BEESTLYproducts said...

wonder if you can find a recipe for bathtub gin online? just until the whole thing blows over. lol.
dopesoxgrrrl.