Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Socks!

So, I discovered a great pattern on Ravelry and decided I needed socks. These suckers are the "monarch" socks, because I thought it was clever with a mix of the colors and the butterfly stitch motif.




Pattern: Flutter-By Socks
Yarn: Yarn Hollow superwash sock, purchased at a yarn festival in Ann Arbor
Needles: Size 1 1/2 US or 2.5MM
Mods: I made the toe much less pointy, stopping with 26 stitches to go. I used the eye of partridge heel, but that's not really a mod since it's given in the pattern...

It's strange how knitting melds in with whatever is going on in life. Last week should have been awesome, as it was spring break and I was off classes. However, on Wednesday my father passed away. (I know I sound crass, but at least he had the sense to go when I was off classes and didn't have to miss any. Trust me, if you knew him, you'd know he wouldn't mind comments like this.) The rest of break has just sort of been a blur of visiting mom, DVDs, knitting, and trying to forget. I didn't get any fucking schoolwork done. At least I have some freaking socks to show for it.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hugs!

Bertha said...

I love these!!

Amanda said...

Your socks are beautiful! I love the color.. is that the yarn that you picked up in Ann Arbor?

I know you've had a really bad few days. I'm here if you need me!

Anonymous said...

my sympathies for your recent loss.

your socks are lovely!

Anonymous said...

Sorry to hear about your fathers passing.

I've been meaning to amend the directions for those socks for awhile. When I wrote it up, I was pretty new to sock knitting and took my guidance from other patterns. With more experience under my belt I now know that the heels and toes are way too pointy! They came out great though since you were able to make the right mods.

razorknitgirl said...

cute!! I have this pattern in my queue on Rav and wanna use a yarn that WILL pool because I know the "butterflys" will break it up.

Rose Red said...

So sorry to hear about your dad, hope you and your mum are doing ok.

The socks look great too - fab colour for the pattern.