Monday, November 20, 2006

Oh Google, how could I have ever doubted you?

Have no idea how the interview went. Will probably be hearing something after the holidays. Until then, time to stress out.

I think the most exciting non-homework non-career related thing to talk about is reading blogs. Before you turn away like this is the most boring thing you've ever heard, let me confess something: RSS feeds scare me. I have a few on my livejournal friends page, but these are already-created click-to-subscribe sorts of things. The code doesn't always render nicely, but such is life. Anyway, as far as blogger goes, I wasn't really sure how to synthesize and read my favorite blogs. So, what did I do? I clicked the links off my homepage to check for updates.

I asked the boy if he had any ideas, and he told me that Trillian Pro and Mozilla Thunderbird both have RSS reader things, but I decided that wasn't the route to go, as their setup was pretty clunky.

My life was pretty much saved when I stumbled upon Google Reader. To think, just today, I was listing off Google products I was familiar with, not thinking that they had an RSS reader. Oh, I was sooooo wrong. Google, I'll never doubt you again.

The thing is, it's so easy. You can type in a blog's name and it'll fetch the feed. You can type in "CNN" or "NPR" or "fark" and get the feeds from those sites. Or you can just be a nerd and type in a feed URL.

....

All right, I'll just shut up and talk about knitting. Felted Furry Footwarmers for gifts, magic looped socks, and too many projects in the queue. I'm actually on a self-imposed yarn-buying diet. The boy set the parameters: I have to finish five projects before I can buy more yarn. Here's hoping I don't break down and do five dishcloths.

No comments: